Recording this episode with Knikole Taylor put a huge 😃 smile 😃 on my face right when I needed it. We had so much fun talking and I think you’ll have a blast listening. You’ll barely even notice that, by the time you’re done, you will have learned about 7 different tools for #FormativeAssessment (Pear Deck, Nearpod, Jamboard, Padlet, Mentimeter, Formative, and Classkick)!
Listen on YouTube here
- Today’s Sponsor: Texthelp – You can sign up for a free teacher account at text.help/equatio-fft
- Soapbox Moment: Teachers > Bowlers
- Seth Godin’s quote about bowling taken from this episode of his Akimbo podcast
- Today’s Guest: Knikole Taylor
- Bio: Knikole Taylor serves as the Instructional Technology Coordinator for Life School. Through personalized support, Mrs. Taylor works with teachers and teacher leaders to craft professional goals to extend their scope of instruction and meet the needs of all learners.
- Contact Info: Twitter: @knikole
- #EduDuctTape Question: How can I formatively assess my students?
- Pear Deck – “It doesn’t feel like an assessment.”
- Jamboard –
- students respond with or without name on a jam.
- Knikole recommends:
- Putting 1 question per frame
- Using post-it colors strategically (red = I don’t get it, yellow = I’m not so sure, green = I’m ready to share)
- Discussing digital citizenship when using Jamboard
- We discussed the lack of a revision history on Jamboard. However, it has rolled out in the time since the interview was recorded! See Alice Keeler’s article about the Revision History in Jamboard here.
- Padlet – “you can do so many different things!”
- Students can respond with text, videos, audio, images, drawings, screencasts, links…. just about anything!
- The big issue is the limitations of their free plan. For a new user, you’ll only get 3 active “walls,” but you can archive, delete, or clear them.
- Individual Pricing or School Pricing
- Mentimeter – lots of different options (polls, quizzes, word clouds, Q&A, etc)
- The big issue here is that their free plan only allows 2 question slides and 5 quiz slides per presentation.
- Here is their education Pricing
- Formative – great for data and tracking of standards-based mastery
- Their paid plan adds in student growth tracking
- Students can add Audio
- Teachers can jump into student slides
- Students can help each other
- The Celebration of the Adjacent Possible!
- Kathy Hulbert – Actively Learn – see her video or respond to her here
- Ways to Support the Show or Connect with Jake & other Duct Tapers!
- Apple Podcast Reviews
- #EduDuctTape on social media
- Telling your friends & colleagues
- The Duct Tapers Facebook Group – facebook.com/groups/ducttapers
- Stickers! Want to pass some out? Want some for yourself? JakeMiller.net/SendMeStickers
- The JakeMillerTech Newsletter – Sign up! jakemiller.net/newsletter