Sam Kary of The New EdTech Classroom YouTube Channel and blog. We’ll talk about ways to develop engaging instruction, the TPACK and SAMR technology integration models, Actively Learn, Whiteboard.chat, Whiteboard.fi, and more!
Listen on . . .
. . . and anywhere else that you listen to audio!
Soapbox Moment: Sinus Pressure and Pandemic Teaching Pressure
Get on the Season 3 Finale Episode!
- (1) Duct Taper Success Story, (2) Favorite EdTech Takeaway, (3) Favorite SoapBox Moment, (4) Favorite Giggle Moment
Today’s Guest: Sam Kary
- Sam is the founder of The New EdTech Classroom, a YouTube channel dedicated to showing teachers how to teach with technology. Sam believes strategic technology integration helps teachers create interactive, personalized, authentic learning experience as well as ensures students develop the skills they’ll need for the future job market.
- Website: newedtechclassroom.com
- YouTube channel: youtube.com/c/newedtechclassroom
- Twitter: @newedtechclass
- Email: email@example.com
2 Truths & 1 Lie
Educational Duct Tape Question: How can I develop engaging instruction?
- One of the most important questions educators can ask.
- Engagement is the “Skeleton key” that can unlock academic success
- Classroom engagement has stumped educators for years and led to pervasive myths about what engagement looks like.
- Superhero teacher myth – We don’t have to have these captivating personalities. However, passion and excitement for a topic/learning can be conveyed.
- Remote Learning – A national anxiety about student engagement. “Students are not… logging in, completing assignments, sharing online, turning on cameras, etc.”
- How can we use this moment of disruption and chaos to try and apply some innovative thinking to recreate schools/classrooms to ignite a passion of learning and truly engage students in relevant learning?
- TPACK & SAMR – Frameworks for Technology Integration
- TPACK Model – (Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge) tpack.org
- SAMR Model – (Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, Redefinition) – edutopia.org/article/powerful-model-understanding-good-tech-integration
- Active learning – Students learn best when they get to interact at all times in the lesson. This leads to interactive content!
- Actively Learn – archive of text-based resources – articles, subject, grade, lexile
- Free and Paid options
- From Sam’s New EdTech Classroom – Actively Learn Tutorial for Teachers (youtu.be/lj154A6QJk8)
- Think EdPuzzle but for articles
- Fully Dynamic Text with accessibility baked into the articles
- Upload your own content – turn an existing webpage, PDF, or video into interactive content.
- Insert Multiple-choice, open-ended, poll…
- Rubrics, align to DOK, align to standards
- Whiteboard.chat vs. Whiteboard.fi
- Seeing all students’ work at once is huge
- Whiteboard.chat – completely free, has every feature which makes it overwhelming
- From Sam’s New EdTech Classroom – Top Tech Tools for Teacher in 2021 (youtu.be/C7etwbRgqsg?t=214)
- Whiteboard.fi – interface is more user-friendly, freemium
- From Sam’s New EdTech Classroom – How to Use Whiteboard.fi: Free Digital Whiteboard (youtu.be/c2Kq9M_G8Vc)
- Other ways to ensure student engagement from Sam:
- Personalized instruction – ST Math, Prodigy
- UDL Tools for differentiation
- Authentic Assessments of Knowledge ie use the 4 C’s, (think Critically, Create, Communication, Collaboration) create vs consume, digital portfolios
- Gamification – Is not just about games, it is about tracking progress and building upon something you’ve accomplished in the past. It motivates everybody!
- Variety – We should be exposing students to lots of different tools and programs. That’s what authentically build skills and foundation technology skills and prepare students to be fluidly navigating digital spaces.
- “Students need to be technologically ambidextrous”
Celebration of the Adjacent Possible
- John Hartmann
- Tina Glanski
Ways to Support the Show or Connect with Jake & other Duct Tapers!
- Apple Podcast Reviews
- FlipGrid.com/EduDuctTape password eduducttape
- #EduDuctTape on social media
- Telling your friends & colleagues
- The Duct Tapers Facebook Group – facebook.com/groups/ducttapers
- Stickers! Want to pass some out? Want some for yourself? JakeMiller.net/SendMeStickers
- The JakeMillerTech Newsletter – Sign up! jakemiller.net/newsletter
Upcoming Events Links:
Your Homework: find an educator who has received the COVID-19 vaccine, thank them for their work as an educator, thank them for getting vaxxed, and tell them to listen to #EduDuctTape!