Dr. Natasha Rachell joins me in this episode for lots of laughs, but also to share some of her strategies for making instruction engaging. Natasha shares about student choice, choice boards, the Flipgrid Discovery Library, Microsoft Sway, Wakelet, Mentimeter, Buncee, and the awesome Minecraft Good Trouble project!
Listen on . . .
. . . and anywhere else that you listen to audio!
- Soapbox Moment: “We Are Michael Jordan Playing Baseball”
- Today’s Guest: Natasha Rachell
- Dr. Natasha Rachell is a former high school science teacher, serving as a Digital Learning Specialist. She is one of the authors of The Microsoft Infused Classroom & one of the creators of the Minecraft Good Trouble lessons & believes you can live in both Google & Microsoft! Natasha is passionate about exploring your “why” & teacher self-care.
- Contact Info: Twitter: @apsitnatasha IG: @natashabrachell
- Website: www.natasharachell.com
- 2 Truths & 1 Lie
- Educational Duct Tape Question: How can I develop engaging instruction?
- Meet students where they are
- Consider using Choice boards or Student choice
- Linda Darling-Hammond quote: “Providing students with multiple ways to demonstrate knowledge and skills increases engagement and learning, and provides teachers with more accurate understanding of students’ knowledge and skills.
- Alfie Kohn Quote from alfiekohn.org/article/choices-children: “When second-graders in Pittsburgh were given some choice about their learning, including the chance to decide which tasks they would work on at any given moment, they tended to “complete more learning tasks in less time.”
- Flipgrid Discovery Library – blog.flipgrid.com/news/discovery
- Microsoft Sway – sway.office.com
- Students should be “Visualizing and verbalizing thinking”
- Buncee – app.edu.buncee.com
- Mentimeter – 3 word response – word cloud
- Drive by Daniel Pink (autonomy, mastery, purpose)
- Minecraft Good Trouble – Felisa Ford, Ken Shelton, social justice lessons, John Lewis, “good trouble” movement
- Education.minecraft.net – free
- Google teachers and students get free access to Microsoft Suite
- Celebration of the Adjacent Possible
- Jenny Ahlers’s Duct Tapers Facebook Group question
- Ways to Support the Show or Connect with Jake & other Duct Tapers!
- Apple Podcast Reviews
- #EduDuctTape on social media
- Telling your friends & colleagues
- The Duct Tapers Facebook Group – facebook.com/groups/ducttapers
- Stickers! Want to pass some out? Want some for yourself? JakeMiller.net/SendMeStickers
- The JakeMillerTech Newsletter – Sign up! jakemiller.net/newsletter
- Upcoming Events Links:
- Your Homework: Find an educator who loves the Black Keys and tell them about the #EduDuctTape podcast!