Joe Marquez delivers powerful tips for designing instructional experiences that are accessible for all learners and are pedagogically effective. He also brings it with ideas for how students can process and represent their learning in UDL-friendly ways. Tune in to hear Joe’s wisdom and our discussion that touches on Edji, Pear Deck, Nearpod, Flipgrid, the Record to Slides extension, and more!
Listen on . . .
. . . and anywhere else that you listen to audio!
- Today’s Sponsor: Texthelp EquatIO – text.help/equatio-fft
- Soapbox Moment: “Granny Shots & Better Ways”
- The premise of this is based on this episode of Malcolm Gladwell and Pushkin’s Revisionist History Podcast
- Today’s Guest: Joe Marquez
- Joe is an educator, technology leader, and the Director of Academic Innovation for CUE. His innovative spirit, outgoing attitude, and outrageous personality have granted him the wonderful opportunity to speak, train and collaborate with educators across the world. Joe is also the co-host of the Sons of Technology Podcast. #DitchThatFear
- You can also find Joe on Twitter (@JoeMarquez70) or YouTube (Youtube.com/sonsoftechnology)
- 2 Truths & 1 Lie
- Educational Duct Tape Question: How can I make tasks more UDL-friendly?
- You have to look at both the delivery and the reception
- How are you going to make a lesson more accessible in a virtual or hybrid instructional setting?
- Hybrid vs. concurrent
- Teacher-student bookend
- Joe’s 3 filters: inspect, redirect, make correct
- Pear Deck
- Nearpod – audio responses are huge for UDL
- How are you understanding what they’re understanding while they’re reading – edji.it
- Like EdPuzzle for text
- Start with text (pdf, copy and paste), add in prompts & questions, highlight things… students respond with text or audio
- Vision button allows students to see each others’ highlights
- Reading is based on writing from the author’s perspective and reading from the reader’s perspective
- Student end:
- Celebration of the Adjacent Possible
- Ways to Support the Show or Connect with Jake & other Duct Tapers!
- Apple Podcast Reviews
- #EduDuctTape on social media
- Telling your friends & colleagues
- The Duct Tapers Facebook Group – facebook.com/groups/ducttapers
- Stickers! Want to pass some out? Want some for yourself? JakeMiller.net/SendMeStickers
- The JakeMillerTech Newsletter – Sign up! jakemiller.net/newsletter
Upcoming Events Links:
Your Homework: Find an educator who loves Schitt’s Creek and tell them about the #EduDuctTape podcast!