This bonus episode features plenty of laughs, tons of fun, and a handful of edtech tips. Tune in to hear me join Meredith Akers, Darryl Legaspi, and Elizabeth King as we have some fun, do some improv, learn about the Google Slides Master Slide, and try out one of my favorite Pear Deck activities!
Continue reading #EduDuctTape BONUS: ImprovEDCon with Meredith Akers, Elizabeth King, and Darryl Legaspi
This bonus episode features an episode of the Education Today podcast where I was fortunate enough to join Scott Nunes to talk about teaching during the pandemic, edtech after the pandemic, Pear Deck, Nearpod, Flipgrid, Otus, Schoology, speech translation tools, transcription tools, Adobe Spark, and more!
Continue reading #EduDuctTape BONUS: Education Today with Scott Nunes
This bonus episode features a roundtable discussion from the Teachers on Fire podcast about educational technology tools in 2020 and 2021. I am joined by Tim Cavey, Chris Nesi, Gabriel Carillo, Eric Guise, Scott Nunes, and Alfonso Mendoza, to talk about more than a dozen edtech tools!
Continue reading #EduDuctTape BONUS: Teachers On Fire – EDTECH PODCASTERS Shout Out the Best Learning Tools of 2020
#EduDuctTape Mini 015
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/16726907/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/ffab40/” width=”100%” height=”90″ scrolling=”no” class=”podcast-class” frameborder=”0″ placement=”top” use_download_link=”” download_link_text=”” primary_content_url=”https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/eduducttape/BrandyNew-EduDuctTape-Min015.mp3″ theme=”custom” custom_color=”ffab40″ libsyn_item_id=”16726907″ /]
- Today’s Guest: Brandy New
- @MsBrandyNew – Director of Innovation in Kentucky, Google Certified Trainer, Co-owner of Shattered Glass.
- Interview Recorded March 12, 2020, on location at the KySTE Conference in Louisville, KY
Continue reading Brandy New & Computer Science Classes for Girls – #EduDuctTape
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/16485983/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/ffab40/” width=”100%” height=”90″ scrolling=”no” class=”podcast-class” frameborder=”0″ placement=”top” use_download_link=”” download_link_text=”” primary_content_url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/eduducttape/EduDuctTape_S03-E048.mp3″ theme=”custom” custom_color=”ffab40″ libsyn_item_id=”16485983″ /]
Episode Notes Available at: jakemiller.net/eduducttape-episode-48
- SoapBox Moment: “First Drafts & Rewrites”
- “Your favorite authors’ first drafts are bad—no better than yours. However, they aggressively rewrite their first drafts.” – Julian Shapiro (post)
- James Clear’s tweet: “Your favorite athlete’s first workout was just as bad as yours. Your favorite chef’s first meal was just as bad as yours. Your favorite artist’s first work was just as bad as yours. Keep going.”
- Today’s Guest: Mike Abrams
- Mike is a tech specialist at a high school in Virginia who aims to inspire teachers to design lessons to support their students. Mike is a career switcher who moved into education after 10 years in Call Center management & training facilitation. Mike is a curious dabbler who tinkers with everything. He is an EdPuzzle Coach & a Pear Deck Regional Coach. Mike has a passion for video creation, pro wrestling & all things Cleveland Browns.
- Contact Info: Twitter: @abramstank95, Email: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Continue reading Mike Abrams: Media Literacy, Bias, & Perspective – #EduDuctTape 48
#EduDuctTape Mini 014
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/16302650/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/ffab40/” width=”100%” height=”90″ scrolling=”no” class=”podcast-class” frameborder=”0″ placement=”top” use_download_link=”” download_link_text=”” primary_content_url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/eduducttape/EduDuctTape_S03-E047.mp3″ theme=”custom” custom_color=”ffab40″ libsyn_item_id=”16302650″ /]
Episode Notes Available at: jakemiller.net/eduducttape-miniepisode-014
- Today’s Guest: Jenna Drozd
- @MrsDrozd_BMS – Technology Integration Specialist, Fab Lab Manager, Digital Photography Teacher, and Video Production Teacher for the Orange City School District in Ohio
- Interview Recorded February 12, 2020 on location at the OETC Conference in Columbus, OH
Continue reading Jenna Drozd, Tech Electives & Smart Phone Photography – #EduDuctTape
Scott Nunes, Building Rapport with EdTech, Google Forms, Microsoft Forms, Flipgrid, Microsoft Presenter Coach, EduProtocols, Gimkit Kitroduce Yourself, and more!
Episode Notes Available at: jakemiller.net/eduducttape-episode-46
- Support for Today’s Episode comes from Pear Deck – peardeck.com/learn-pear-deck
- SoapBox Moment: “Who’s Keeping Score?”
- Today’s Guest: Scott Nunes
- Scott is an ELA Teacher turned Edtech Coach, with a focus on PBL & amplifying student and teacher voices. Scott is an MIE Expert & hopes to become a Google Innovator soon. Additionally, he loves all things edtech and 3D printing. Scott has two podcasts: TNT Edtech (with Matthew Ketchum) and Education Today.
Continue reading #EduDuctTape Podcast Ep 46 with Scott Nunes
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/15684863/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/ffab40/” width=”100%” height=”90″ scrolling=”no” class=”podcast-class” frameborder=”0″ placement=”top” use_download_link=”” download_link_text=”” primary_content_url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/eduducttape/EduDuctTape_S03-E045.mp3″ theme=”custom” custom_color=”ffab40″ libsyn_item_id=”15684863″ /]
Dee Lanier, Interactive Lesson Ideas for F2F & Remote Learning Environments, Solve In Time, Maker Kitchen, Pear Deck, Zoom Breakout Rooms, and more!
Episode Notes Available at: jakemiller.net/eduducttape-episode-45 Continue reading #EduDuctTape Podcast Ep 45 with Dee Lanier
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/15518435/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/ffab40/” width=”100%” height=”90″ scrolling=”no” class=”podcast-class” frameborder=”0″ placement=”top” use_download_link=”” download_link_text=”” primary_content_url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/eduducttape/EduDuctTape_S03-E044.mp3″ theme=”custom” custom_color=”ffab40″ libsyn_item_id=”15518435″ /]
#EduDuctTape — EduDuctTape.com — @JakeMillerTech — JakeMiller.net — JakeMillerTech@gmail.com
Show Notes: jakemiller.net/eduducttape-episode-44
- Support for Today’s Episode comes from Pear Deck – peardeck.com/learn-pear-deck
- Show Your Duct Taper Pride!
- Certificates of Listening, Laughing, and Learning!
- #EduDuctTape Twitter Chats
- Access the calendar! – bit.ly/EduDuctTapeCalendar
- Thanks to The Mighty Ducts! Molly Klodor, Nanci Greene, Pam Inabinett, Sarah Kiefer, Alex Oris, Amy Huckaby, Angela Green, Brandy New, Dan Stitzel, David Allan, Jennifer Conti, Kimberly Wren, Lisa Marie Bennett, Matt Meyer, Melinda Vandevort, Melissa Van Heck!
- The JakeMillerTech Newsletter – Sign up! jakemiller.net/newsletter
- Today’s SoapBox Moment – Flexible Learning with EdTech: And/But
- Tools mentioned:
- Hearing from Students: Flipgrid, Screencastify, Loom, Screencastify Submit, Nearpod, Pear Deck, Seesaw, Padlet
- Interactive Instruction: Flipgrid, EdPuzzle, Nearpod, Pear Deck, Formative, Seesaw
- Feedforward Opportunities (feedback): Screencastify, Loom, Screencast-o-matic, Seesaw, Kami, Flipgrid, Mote
- Accessibility: Immersive Reader, TextHelp Read & Write, closed captions, audio in Google Slides, Chromebook Accessibility features
- Today’s Guest: Holly Clark
- 2 Truths & 1 Lie
- Educational Duct Tape Question: How can I leverage blended to rethink assessment to yield richer information about student learning and growth? (rethinking assessment in the digital age)
- “We need to really think about assessment as getting into the minds of our students.”
- In a richer assessment… students can reflect, advocate for specific feedback, explain
- “Now, I can put that onus on the student to explain to me their learning journey. And then, each of my students becomes an individual to me instead of a same-content, same-time, same-way.”
- “Press Record”
- Assessment of Prior Knowledge
- “Voice and Choice is not Individualized Instruction, it’s Individualized Outputs.”
- “You can’t be a good writer and you can’t be a good reader until you’re good orally. But we shut down the oral in classrooms. And then we’re like ‘Oh we don’t have good writing scores or reading scores.’ ‘Uh, let me come fix that for you . . . in Flipgrid.’”
- Holly – it may take students as much as 3 weeks to get to the point of leaving articulate, well thought out responses in Flipgrid.
- Tools for a “Press Record” Mindset:
- Celebration of the Adjacent Possible!
- Apple Podcast Review from Brianna Shaner! Thanks Brianna!
- #EduDuctTape FlipGrid Responses:
The school bell sound used is from here: https://freesound.org/people/13FPanska_Stranska_Michaela/sounds/378394/
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/15100628/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/ffab40/” width=”100%” height=”90″ scrolling=”no” class=”podcast-class” frameborder=”0″ placement=”top” use_download_link=”” download_link_text=”” primary_content_url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/eduducttape/EduDuctTape_S02-E043_Season_Finale.mp3″ theme=”custom” custom_color=”ffab40″ libsyn_item_id=”15100628″ /]
In the Season 2 Finale Episode, I share “success stories” from 8 educator listeners. The listeners share about uses of CommonSense Media, Code.org, Dash, Ozobot, Spheros, Shapegrams, Bitmoji, Quizizz, brain science, Google Forms, Choice Boards, WeVideo, Screencastify, Flipgrid, Adobe Spark, Pear Deck, blended learning, EdPuzzle, and HyperDocs, all of which stemmed from episodes of the show. + the Season 2 Giggle Mix!
Continue reading #EduDuctTape Season 2 Finale – Listener Success Stories & The Season 2 Giggle Mix