Giving speeches or presentations in front of their peers can be a really nerve-wrecking activity for students. We often encourage them to practice, but . . . what’s practice without reflection and self-assessment?
Students can use the free Google Chrome extension Screencastify to record themselves giving their speech or presentation. Then, they can view that recording and reflect on how they did.
Screencastify automatically saves to their Google Drive and is not public, unless the student chooses to upload to YouTube or share the Google Drive file.
- Install the Chrome Extension.
- Click on the extension and follow the prompts to set it up.
- When ready, click on the extension to record.
- Select Desktop (recording entire screen), Tab (recording just the current tab, even if you navigate away from it) or Cam (recording only the camera). If doing Desktop or Tab, decide if you want the webcam on or not.
- Click Record and start talking!
- Click stop and then watch your masterpiece. Remember that it’s also saved in your Google Drive in a “Screencastify” folder.